Tuesday 7 August 2012

Update, Food & Mood, cool news....

I have soooo much to share with you today, so get comfortable with a warm cuppa before reading on....


© Miszmasz | Stock Free Images & Dreamstime Stock Photos





  Ready? ........





So, I will start with my awesome weekend, which also ties in a bit to Food & Mood....  hope this all makes sense!


I had the absolute pleasure of attending the Chemical Free Kids
Seminar organised by my lovely friend Emma Lodge and Jade Vogler of O4Organics/Miessence.  Dr Sarah Lantz the author of the book was there and for my second time round, I got even more out of this one than I did at last year's effort.  It was in a word, brilliant!

The room was full of people wanting to make changes, willing to make changes, already making changes (I fit here) and people who were willing to consider a new way of thinking.  

This book got me started on my chemical free family journey and I am pleased to say that after many books and many small changes later, we will never go back.... 

Meeting Sarah Lantz for the second time was lovely.  She even remembered meeting me last year and we talked about how we grow Vanilla for the family business and we have organised for her and the family to visit the farm when they return to FNQ later in the year. 

Originally, I wasn't going to go to this, but the following day I managed to get my husband to agree to me going to the women's wellness workshop that Sarah had organised with the girls called "An afternoon with Sarah..."

Ahhh, such a lovely, fab, inspirational afternoon, I am sooooo glad I was able to go.  We started with a meditation, followed by some green shots and went on to chat about healing through food and living chemical free as a woman.  Once again, BRILLIANT!  I even won myself a copy of Bill Statham's The Chemical Maze, a book I have been wanting to get for a while now:) 

So how does this all relate to Food & Mood?


I have talked about a whole bunch of different foods that are good for you already, but generally keeping your diet free of sugary, processed foods is going to be the number one thing that will help you take care of your health in general, which has a follow on effect to your mental health. 

I know the chemical free lifestyle isn't for everyone, but making simple changes to the way you eat and what you eat is a good place to start.  It is all about reducing your exposure to toxins and healing ourselves with good, nutritionally balanced food.  Ditch the dead, no nutrients crap and you will feel the benefits within your mind and body in so many ways.  

If, like me, you are on meds for your depression, making changes to your diet can mean possible changes to your meds as well, which leads me to my next bit of exciting news!!

Yesterday afternoon I went to the doctor to top up my prescriptions for my meds.  After much disscussion about where I am at right now, we decided that even though I have had a few down days since last going up in dose, they are nothing like what I was feeling like before going up and overall I am positive, upbeat and content wtih my lot.  Clearly therapy (read blogging!) is working and he agreed to me going back down in dose.  Down!!!  For like the first time EVER! 

I am so excited!  I have never walked out with a YES after pitching this to my doctor before. 

I have to keep working at it though.  Keeping this up is going to require some hard work but I know now that I can do it and if I fall, I will be ok. 

Moving on...


Some other things that have happened is that I have been one of those very crafty mums that I was grateful for a few weeks ago! 

I have completed the portable homework stations for both my kid's and I am nearly done with their chore charts.  They keep falling so I gotta find a better way to hang them! 
 






The portable homework stations are great cos they are filled with stacks of pencils, rubbers, sharpener, scissors, glue etc.  Everything they need is in one place. 


 
 I will add their sight and spelling words to the "words" pocket that they can stick up and look at whenever they need to. 


The bottom one is my daughter's - she loves the sticky notes!








  My next obstacle is to get through all of these books.  All but three are library books!  Pretty sure I will be an ADD/ADHD expert by the end of next week...

So, there you are, all caught up on me and the inner workings of "Mummy in Disguise" at the present moment in time.  Still hard at work, still wearing my mask every now and then, but feeling much better about ripping it off as well AND on lower meds (can't wipe the smile off my face!)...

Cheers to a great day,

                Mummy in Digsuise
                                                      xoxo

P.S. If you want to know more about what went on over the weekend with Sarah Lantz, feel free to ask or private message me:)




No comments:

Post a Comment

C'mon, leave a comment, I'd love to hear from you!