Thursday 28 June 2012

Mental Wellnes Tip #2

Get Plenty of Sleep!

Besides exercising (avoiding this one for several reasons!) and eating well, it ’s important to get a good nights sleep, preferably eight hours of un-interrupted sleep.  Sleep is a universal prerequisite to health and happiness. If you are experiencing problems with sleeping, you should seek help.  There are all kinds of simple strategies to help you sleep better: 
© Suti | Stock Free Images & Dreamstime Stock Photos
 
  • Make the room darker
  • Have a sleep cue or sleep routine
  • Cut back on caffiene, especially in the afternoon & evening
  • Limit Alcohol (don't use it to put you to sleep!)
  • Stop trying - relax and try not to  force it
  • Reduce your daytime stress and anxiety

Some of these sound easier said than done when in the middle of a major depressive episode, but if you are aware enough of what is happening, then you should be able to do something about it. I wish I could say I was good at this tip, but I am not.  I avoid sleep when I actually need it most.  Which in turn usually sets me up for a fall.  There are times when I can catch myself before it gets bad, but there are times when it is too late....  This is something I am always working on...

Eternally sleepy,

Mummy In Disguise
                                 xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment

C'mon, leave a comment, I'd love to hear from you!