Thursday 7 June 2012

Despite the crazy bits...

It's another Thankful Thursday my friends and I can't wait to tell you about my gratitude this week!

It's light and lovely, a little bit cheesy with a dash of frustration and ride in a lift thrown in....

This week I am thankful for (drum roll please!) all of yesterday!  Yes folks, Wednesday - and all that was in it!

Yesterday was "take your kids to work day" for me due to a pupil free day at school and me forgetting to call my mum early enough to ask to babysit.  BUT I was in luck 'cos my boss was away for the day so I did something VERY naughty and took them in to the office.

Now I have to say, my boss would rather I take the day off work than take the kids in, even when he isn't there, but my reality doesn't allow for days off when you're on a casual wage, your husband is studying and both of us only work part time, with barely enough to pay all the bills!  So, I made absolutely sure that they would be totally occupied with no time for little hands to get into places little hands just shouldn't be.

They love the idea of coming to work with me.  In the few times they have had to, my DS has been known to sit at my bosses desk and call himself Mr. D - thank. you. very. much. I AM the BOSS mummy!

Well yesterday, I went in prepared with my laptop and our external hard drive full of movies, plus a bag full of books, their homework and my float for the markets so DS could practice maths with money.  I had prepared sandwiches, fruit and bickies and even threw in DD's ballet gear for after work.

Ooooh, they were so excited!  First things first, we get into the office and unload all our stuff and go straight to the toilet for trip #1.  Then it was off to get mum a coffee, which became a coffee and chocolate milkshakes.  They took turns pressing the traffic light buttons and held my hands when asked.  There was no running ahead, no arguing or talking back, only perfect, angelic children.

Back at the office it was movie and milkshake time... oh yeah!  Halfway through the HUGE shakes, it was time for toilet trip #2.

Somewhere in between I actually managed to get some work done - yay me!

Between toilet trips #2 & #3 the kids helped me deliver some mail and accounts to the tenants in my building.  I let the kids hand them out to each tenant.  It was cute and I felt a surge of cheesy pride.  The best bit was the ride up and down the slowest and oldest lift in Cairns.

After that, the "when is lunch time?" a la "are we there yet?" repetition kicked in.  For 40 delirious minutes.  Attention spans were thin and fleeting at this point but nothing some scrap paper and office highlighters couldn't fix.
© Pcphotos | Stock Free Images & Dreamstime Stock Photos

Lunch time - phew!  A picnic on the esplanade with my munchkins at "our tree".  It was a glorious day yesterday, and apparently also the tree's birthday. After taking an extra long walk to visit a friend at her baby shop work, we stopped for toilet trip #4  on the way back to the office.  I swear they don't pee this much at home!

Now, I am not sure what happened to my cherubs after that but the afternoon involved spinning, door slamming and children laughing while mummy growled. 

Come 3pm I realised we were gonna be late if we didn't get a move on.  We packed up quickly, which for DD meant moving in extra slow motion and for DS some serious talk back about the office shredder (which I still don't understand!)  In the car DD did her very first strip and change into her ballet gear, so proud! 

We made it to ballet with seconds to spare before DS & I turned around to drive to my parents to pick up stock I needed for an order.  Stopping at my parents is never a short visit but after toilet visit #5 DS and I returned to ballet late!  OMG, please tell me we can go home now?!?!?

Home and hubby is studying but he agrees to cook dinner when I ask - yay me!  No rest for the wicked though as I have emails to answer before dinner.  Hubby helped DS with the homework we never did at work and I squeeze in a game of Bubble Witch Saga on FB (ssshhhh, don't tell....)

Bathtime, dinner, hubby in bed for a 10pm start at work.  DD snuggled on the lounge with me and fell asleep instantly, dog came in and tried to wake her and licks lovely clean DS all over.  Dog goes back out again, put DD to bed and snuggle with DS.  I love the conversation with him at this time of day, so curious, open and fearless.  He isn't as open during the day as he can be at this time of night....

Bedtime for DS with big cuddles and another chat before lights out.

It was at this point that I was feeling all warm and fuzzy inside, as I often do when I finally put the kids to bed, but I also realised that despite the crazy bits, we had a really fun, fabulous day.  Despite the crazy bits, we had lovely conversations and sweet close moments. 

It is these precious moments in my children's lives that I am most grateful for today. 


They grow up so fast, blink and you'll miss it.  We are all so caught up in our lives and how busy we are, but a day like yesterday is needed every now and then to remind us of what is truly precious and most important to us.

What are you saying thank you for today? 


Yours despite the crazy bits,

            Mummy in Disguise
                                            xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment

C'mon, leave a comment, I'd love to hear from you!