Thursday 24 May 2012

Thankful Thursday: Ode to the library....

This week I am grateful for the library.  I am sure I have mentioned that I love to read actual books - I haven't quite gotten into the Kindle / I Pad thing yet - mostly 'cos we just can't afford one at the moment! 

Anyway, the main library in our town is across the road from my work.  I go online and reserve the books that I want to read and pick them up from here when they are ready.


I do most of my research online, but when I get the chance, I go in and actually search the shelves for the books I want, though the ones I want often have to come in from another branch.... but I still love being in this place.  
© Alexeys | Stock Free Images & Dreamstime Stock Photos

There is such a lovely calm feeling in a library, even though there are rows of students trying to make sense of their notes, assignment or text books.  It is probably the quietness of the place that draws me in, or maybe because it feels like time moves a little slower in there. 

I know that I can go in there and soak up the words and knowledge around me, but mostly it is a nice escape from the hectic speed of my life.  When things are moving at a really fast pace for me and I find things a little overwhelming, this is one place I can go to reset. 

My mind shuts out everything else except for the book I am looking for.  My breathing slows, my pace slows and my focus becomes like tunnel vision.   

I don't borrow alot of fiction - no time for that at the moment!!  I borrow books about nutrition and food intolerance; about healthy living and meditation.  I currently have a few books about depression and one about myths in the food industry.  I always have more than one book at a time and I always have a few reserved ahead of time. 

Sometimes I go in during my lunch break to just sit and read.  So peaceful....


© Deshacam | Stock Free Images & Dreamstime Stock Photos



In the suburb where I live, we have a small branch that my children absolutely love.  Every Wednesday after my DD's ballet class we go in for a visit.  They have their own library cards and have joined the kids club.  My daughter's prep class had an excursion to this little library during the week and she proudly took her library card with her to show her classmates.  She was so excited to be going! 

I hope this continues into adulthood for them and that they see the library as a sanctuary as well. 

I have had a weird, overwhelming week so far so I really needed a library visit this week! 

Yours from the library,

Mummy in Disguise
                           xoxoxo

2 comments:

  1. I have been thinking lately I need to get the kids to the library and I have also been thinking I don't have enough time, I'm going to sit and see if i can make time. My biggest issue is the fact I never, and I mean never return anything on time. I do have a kindle and it is only because it was a gift, and you know what I like about it...now don't laugh...but I can lay in bed and read with the covers right up to my chin and I don't need to hold my book and I can press the button to turn the page through my doona :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol, I do love your reason for loving your kindle MuMmARat! I have been guilty in the past of consistently returning books late, but I put it on our home family planner and on my phone and this helps me get them back in time.

      The kids absolutely love it, so before libraries are closed forever like that school down south somewhere where they have replaced all books with kindles and the bookshelves are LITERALLY empty, take them to the library so that they can experience it with their own eyes and their own kids won't call them liars for telling them such a place existed!!! xoxo

      Delete

C'mon, leave a comment, I'd love to hear from you!