Sunday 27 January 2013

Cooking is good for my soul...

I love to cook.  I love to cook for other people.  I enjoy seeing other people enjoy my food.  I love dinner parties and BBQs, parties and gatherings in general.

And not just for the copious amount of wine I would usually drink at said gathering, but for the planning leading up to it where I get to plan out a menu and sometimes even a theme if the occasion calls for it!

The kids birthday parties have been my favourite
and most stressful times all at once, and every year I would go back for more and do it all over again.  The theming has got less extravagent as they have gotten older, but I already know what their themes will be for this years birthdays - and I already have ideas on how to make it 'hidden healthy':)  

You see, as I am studying this year, my family will be my guinea pigs, my crash test dummies!  I am determined to make better lunch box choices for my kids this year and I have already gotten off to a good start...  Let's not forget that spending time in the kitchen after planning a menu is like therapy for me.  Bring on the happy hormones :-)

Today I spent the whole day in the kitchen.  This is my after photo:



This photos shows what I have been preparing for the freezer for the next few weeks of school lunches.  Normally I would have made two loaves worth of sandwiches, but I have vowed to reduce the number of sandwich days per week this year in an effort to get them to eat more good carbs from fruit and vegetables.  

I want us all to eat as clean and whole as we can.  I want us to eat as close to nature as possible, or use ingredients as close to nature as possible.

Funny thing is, we got a pizza oven from my parents for Christmas, and a bread machine as a going away present!  Not fazed by this, we are allowed treats - preferably of the gluten free variety!!!

So back to cooking - did I mention I love it?!

Did I mention also, that I don't looove it?  You know, I love it, but if I have to cook dinner every night, I might just kill someone with my sharpest butter knife?
 

Hubby's new job means that he isn't home in time to cook dinner during the week.  Which is fine because I am cooking mostly paleo recipes, so I want to be in control of at least 80% of the cooking.  He has been great though in cooking on the weekends.  This too makes me happy!  It also gives me time to get in the kitchen and cook up a storm, but without dinner being part of the package.  I meal plan, so he doesn't have to think too much, but he does wing it with what I imagine he calls 'normal' food.

So what did I cook today?

Today I prepared:

- Bliss Balls (also known as Energy Balls)
- Popcorn
- Egg / Zucchini Slice
- Magic Cookie Bars (Grain/dairy/gluten free)
- Paleo Candy
- Paleo Pikelets
- Sausages
- Chicken Wings/drumettes

For those of you that don't know about Paleo, it is also known as the caveman diet, or primal eating. Just something I am looking into as part of eating a clean diet, but basically you eat protein, fruit and veg, nuts and seeds.  Some butter is allowed, but it is mostly about coconut oil, olive oil, all those beautiful, good fats our body needs.  That means, no other dairy, no grains, no legumes. I don't know if I would be able to convert to this kind of lifestyle 100%, but I find the science behind it very interesting and the recipes themselves are tasty and easy to make.  Winning :-)

I started to take photos today, but then the weather warnings started so it was just "let's get these babies cooked and stored before we lose any power!"

The popcorn, pikelets and egg slice have been staple lunchbox fillers for the last few years.  I have made Bliss Balls before and the kids turned their noses up, but they tasted them again and Boom - I love how their tastebuds change!

The sausages and chicken nibbles will be served up with crunchy vegetables or salad.  They seem excited by this idea, so my fingers are crossed that we will be able to keep up with it.  

I have shared the link to the website where I got the Paleo recipes from below, however here are some pictures of the Magic Cookie Bars in progress....

 


 First, I assembled all my ingredients.  I actually made a slight change in the recipe and included apricots instead of another nut or seed.






Then I prepared the base while the coconut milk was simmering.  It is a tad sticky, but stay with it, it will cover the whole base of the pan.



These are the before cooking and finished product shots!

So yummy, I just hope the kids like it!



My Paleo Candy went into the fridge to chill looking like this: 




I added Chia Seeds to the original recipe and I would probably add more of a wet binding ingredient next time as a result, but they are delish :-)


There are HEAPS of websites out there with suggestions for school lunches.  I don't like most of them because they NEVER look realistic.  They always look way too "placed" and perfect.  No mother has Most mothers don't have time for that in the morning, and I know I am too tired to put in that much effort the night before!!

However, the suggestions at www.kidspot.com.au and Taste.com are pretty good and not as "out there" as some of things I have made today!  

If you have food issues, then the Additive Free Pantry is a great resource.

Other things I will try this year include mini meatballs, tuna patties, leftovers (an oldie but a goodie!), sausage rolls, homemade muesli bars, muffins and healthy slices.  Fruit is a must in our lunchboxes and I don't send dairy to school anymore, especially if there is no fridge.  As long as there is a kitchen in my house, I will be baking and cooking better foods for their lunchboxes!  And enjoying every minute of my kitchen therapy sessions!!

What do you give your kids for school lunches?    If you have anything you would like to share, please do, I would love more ideas and recipes on the subject.

Yours in baking heaven,

                      Mummy in Disguise
                                                            xoxo  

All Paleo Recipes were sourced in part or whole from the following sites:

PaleOMG
Balanced Bites
Paleo Plan



No comments:

Post a Comment

C'mon, leave a comment, I'd love to hear from you!