Monday 20 January 2014

Small Business - Big Deal...

So, in September last year, I started my little business called Light Heart Therapies.  I am now a practicing meditation teacher and holistic health coach.  
Numbers like this every week
would be good!

It's a slow going process though and..... it can take a toll on you mentally.  Most people know that small business can come with incidence of depression, stress and mental health issues.  So it was a big deal to take those tentative steps tow
ards having my own business in the year that we were staying away from stress, in particular, and anything else that may be negative for our health.

Yet, I did it and I was really proud and excited and happy with my efforts.  But it hasn't been smooth sailing...

When classes don't fill, or no one turns up, there are so many questions you ask yourself....

What am I doing wrong?
What sort of impression am I making that they don't turn up when they say they will?
Am I really bad at this?

Self doubt creeps in...

I must be a bad teacher.
I'm not passionate enough.
I haven't done enough...
I can't do this.
I suck at this.
I am not good enough...

Gah!  There it is.... I'm not good enough.... :-(

It takes a lot for me (for anyone!) to come back from saying this to myself over and over.

If I give it time in my head it then becomes the biggest demotivator you could possibly come up against!  I find myself procrastinating like the pro I am.  I end up lazing on the couch, watching terrible day time television, or catching up on sleep I don't need...

Why take the time to market my little business if it's only going to fail cos I'm just not good enough?  Why bother at all?  (even though it is what I really want!?!)

Urgh!

There is light at the end of the tunnel though....

I tell myself everyday this most important of all affirmations:

I love and approve of myself.  I give myself permission to shine.  I love and forgive myself for past mistakes.  I am filled with light, love and peace.  I am enough.

I know I am good at what I do.  I have a decent head for business and I can talk about meditation, stress, depression, happiness, food and nutrition til the cows come home - sometimes a little too much actually that you may need to knock me off my high horse!  Needless to say, the passion for my chosen field is there!

So now I am printing and delivering flyers with gusto.  I am hanging posters everywhere I possibly can.  I am talking about meditation whenever I possibly can, you know, just casually dropping it into conversation when I see an opportunity!  I may have picked up a new private client on the weekend as a result!

I feel energised and I feel good enough.

We live in times of extreme stress and increasing pressure - to be successful, to have all the right stuff, to be perfect or have the perfect life!  When you consider the economic climate at the moment, there are a large number of businesses facing financial stress; and the thing about small business is that it's the sole responsibility of the owner for the financial performance of the business. And the pressure affects everyone around them!

A little off topic, but this is
my dream office!
Some small business owners working from home can experience isolation, which in turn can lead to depression.  Isolation, boredom, or even unrealistic performance expectations can also apply to staff of small business, who often suffer in silence because they need their job.  In fact it is common across the board for employees to keep silent about their depression, no thanks to stigma and the fear that it may hurt their career if they do speak out.  


Bloody stigma...  

Affirmations alone are not going to make me or my business successful - my actions and good planning will do that!  The affirmations do help to keep me in the right headspace to plan and take action though.

Finding balance is also a big part of the plan.  Over doing it in one section of your life is simply inviting the black dog in and asking him to make himself comfortable.  Not in my house he won't!

Stay tuned for more Light Heart Therapies news.  I have a blog planned where I can write more about wellness and meditation, and learning to live with a light heart.  I have great plans for 2014, which I will share when I can.

Until then, shine bright my friends!

Yours filled with light, love & peace,


Mummy in Disguise

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment

C'mon, leave a comment, I'd love to hear from you!